Kinfolk Kollective is relaunching and expanding! As such I am looking to hire a Black-centered, outspoken Assistant Editor to create and manage editorial content. Responsibilities include:
- Recruiting, mentoring and managing a team of writers
- Monitoring submissions inbox and responding to submissions
- Assigning, reviewing and editing essays, think-pieces and columns
- Drafting and coordinating publishing schedule
- Monitoring current events to make assignments
- Coordinating payments for writing staff
- Writing two pieces a month for the site as assigned/agreed upon
- Liaising between columnisits/writers and Editor
Experience writing opinion and news pieces online required. Experience as editor of a school newspaper or writing newsletters preferred. Degree nor college coursework required. Familiarity and alignment with Kinfolk Kollective’s mission, opinions and writing style essential.
Work will be performed remotely, but candidates in the DC area are strongly encouraged to apply.
As the position requires constant access to internet, a subsidy to supplement the cost of cell data plan will be provided in addition to a set monthly salary and opportunities for bonuses based on meeting/exceeding traffic goals.
Email resume, links to writing samples and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Assistant Editor.
I’m looking for a queer writer to cover relevant issues to Black queers and a writer with a disability to cover issues relevant to Black disabled folks. Writers will:
- Collaboratively name column to reflect personal style and KK brand
- Submit proposal for piece each month within two weeks of due date
- Write and edit column collaboratively with Assistant Editor
- Produce timely pieces as assigned and needed
Email resume, links to writing samples and brief cover letter to email@example.com with subject line: “Queer Columnist” or “Disabled Columnist.”
Daily Pop Culture Writer
Do you keep your ears to these internet streets? I need a funny, skilled, sassy writer with experience summarizing the daily happenings in our culture. You will:
- Produce a daily piece giving the tea on everything that happened with Black Twitter, hip-hop and other celeb culture that day to be published by 6PM
- Be available to produce ad hoc pieces within the hour as needed
- Manage the hot tips inbox
Email resume, links to writing samples and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Pop Culture Writer.
I’m always looking for paid guest writers.
DO NOT SEND COMPLETED PIECES.
Please send a query email with the subjectline “PITCH: [Topic Summary] “
The body of your email should include:
- a brief introduction
- a 2-3 line summary of your topic, and your “angle”
- a link to a published writing samples if you have them
- a short bio.
All submissions should be sent to: email@example.com
*Paying contributors is made possible through your generous donations.